You may be wondering if some criminals have been hired as security guards. Well, if you believe that there are criminals who have been hired as security guards or personnel, then your belief is correct.
When someone is convicted of a crime or a client working with a security agency, they are expected to be cleared of any criminal charges by whistling, or in other words. This is a myth because a large number of security guards or personnel in the United States have previously committed a serious crime or had criminal charges against them.
Guard companies are well aware that some previously convicted criminals are applying for security guard jobs.
Because of this exhibition, the guard companies take advantage of the situation by hiring these people and paying them low wages, as a result of which they are silent on this issue. It also allows some protection companies to pay these individuals a very low wage if there is no minimum wage.
Given the situation, should criminals still apply for security jobs?
The answer is yes! This is because it is an opportunity for already convicted criminals to work and prove their employers wrong that they cannot change for the better. Better a poor horse than no horse at all.
Also, private security contractors have to educate their clients. They should be able to teach them what it means to be a security guard or an officer and also teach them what to do.
Private security contractors also need to be clear and honest when talking to security guards or officers on occasion. An example of this is to tell convicted felons that they cannot carry firearms, which prevents them from working as Level 4 bodyguards or commissioned officers.
That is why those who have committed a crime in the past live mostly as non-commissioned Level 2 security guards and thus cannot receive additional training.
Another reason for being second class is that convicted offenders / offenders cannot take Level 3 even for educational purposes. What prevents them from taking the Level 3 course is that they cannot afford the firearms needed to complete the course. Also, the law prohibits former offenders from wearing body armor.
Where do I apply if I still want to be a security guard?
While finding opportunities is not an easy task for previously convicted criminals, it is important to note that criminal records do not preclude the ability to become security guards.
All you need to do is apply for some certificates that will help you get a job as a security guard.
Note that the laws vary between states and that two different states may have different application processes.
Here are some of the states that allows you to apply as a security guard even if previously convicted of a felony.
In New York, it is possible to get a job as a security guard with a criminal trial knowing:
Certificate of Relief Act of New York State, this certificate allows offenders who have been convicted once or previously to help remove obstacles or damages when applying for jobs, housing and schooling. This is important because it helps keep the work safe.
There are two certificates of relief for convicted felons
- Certificate of Relief from Disabilities, this certificate is for those felons who were convicted for the first time with no jail time. If you were convicted for a felony for the first time and was granted some jail time, you will need to go through the Board of Parole of the New York state.
- Certificate of Good Conduct, this certificate is for those felons who were repeat offenders. This certificate is only obtainable through the Board of Parole in New York, the waiting time for this certificate ranges from 1 to 5 years depending on the gravity of the offense.
It is important to note that each year, there are approximately 1000 applicants who apply for both certificates. Out of 1000 applicants, certificates are issued to approximately 500 applicants. This only means that if you apply for a certificate, you have a 50% chance of receiving the certificate. Obtaining this certificate will help you get a job as a security guard in New York.
Heading to California, the provisions are somewhat the same in New York, but different in name. Here are some of the important things you need to know:
- You must obtain the Certificate of Rehabilitation, having this document may help you because having this document will make you eligible to be a security guard or even an armed guard. Here are some of the qualifications you need to apply for the certificate.
- You must not be re-incarcerated or fall back into bad habits since your time of release.
- You must have spent 5 years living in California since the time of your release.
- You must also show proof that you have been rehabilitated after being released.
- You must also not be on probation for other cases of felony.
After receiving the Certificate of Rehabilitation, you will need to obtain the next California Guard Card. This is important because to become a security guard, you must first be licensed. You will need to complete a series of tests and examinations to receive this card.
While this will give you the benefit of hiring a security guard in California, it is important to note that not all employers have the same standards and some of them have very strict standards. Some employers do background checks.
If you are a criminal who would like to apply as a security guard in California, you can call 818-462-3080 to meet with a security consulting group in Chatworth, California.